With snowfall averages over 200 inches per year, the Northern Hills hamlet of Lead is home to two ski resorts, Deer Mountain and Terry Peak, and miles and miles of trails—perfect for snowmobiling, fatbiking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and more. Wintertime in Lead also brings about a two-day party affectionately known as Winterfest!
Taking place this coming Friday and Saturday, February 10 & 11, 2017, Winterfest will include many outdoor recreation activities as well as a chili and dessert cook-off, a snowmobile poker run, snow yoga, an ugly sweater fun run, tons of live music events, fireworks, a huge bonfire, and more. We’ve outlined the full schedule of events below:
Friday, February 10:
- 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm: Lead Chamber Mixer with Chili & Dessert Cook-Off at All-In-One Events Center at 501 W. Main Street
- All weekend: Medallion Scavenger Hunt with Pieni Kirkko of Creative Works Studio & Gift Shop at 170 W. Main Street. Daily clues begin on Feb. 4 on the Lead Chamber Facebook page
- All weekend: Window Decorating Contest
Saturday, February 11:
- 8:00 am registration, 9:00 am start for the Snowmobile Poker Fun Run at Steel Wheel Trading Post, south of Lead on Hwy. 385
- 10:00 am – 10:45 am: Snow Yoga with Cary Thrall at the Visitor Center observation deck. ($10 advance registration required.)
- 11:00 am registration, 12:00 pm race for Boys & Girls Club Ugly Sweater Fun Run at Visitor Center parking lot
- 11:00 am – 3:00 pm: Arctic Golf at the Visitor Center. Hit a ball into the Open Cut!
- 11:00 am – 3:00 pm: Try-It Winter Sports with the Northern Hills Recreation Assoc. at Manuel Brothers Park. Try out a new winter sport such as fat tire off-road biking, snowshoeing, and Nordic skiing.
- 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm: Live music – Paul Larson’s “Downtown Cowboy Music Party” with beer, wine, or free hot chocolate at the Homestake Opera House Main Street Front Party Room
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm: Live music – Linda Carmon at Hangar 7 Pub at the Blackstone Lodge & Suites in Lead on Hwy. 85
- 5:00 pm: Live music – The Terk live band at All-In-One Events Center at 501 W. Main Street
- 5:00 pm: Live music – Steve Thorpe and Raffle at Lotus Up Espresso & Deli at 95 E. Main Street across from Open Cut
- 5:00 pm: Community Soup Feed at the Black Hills Rod & Gun Club on Washington Street, next to the tennis courts
- 6:00 pm: Trivia Contest at the Stampmill Restaurant & Grill on Main Street Lead
- 7:00 pm: Grand Finale Party: bonfire, fireworks & live music with The Blue Street Band at the Visitor Center parking lot
- 8:00 pm: Karaoke with Colin & Jen at the new Greenfield Pub on Main Street