This week the National Park Service announced its lineup of free entrance days for 2011. The first entrance fee-free days are actually coming up next weekend already (Jan. 15-17), so it could be a great time for you to visit one of the nearby national parks. Several of the national park areas here in the Black Hills and Badlands region are always free to enter, but these fee-free weekends are especially good times to visit Badlands National Park or Devils Tower National Monument, since those two normally do charge a gate fee. Below is the official schedule of free entrance dates from the NPS.
**************America's Best Idea – the national parks – gets even better with several fee-free days at more than 100 national parks that usually charge entrance fees.* Mark your calendar for these fee-free days in 2011:
- January 15-17, 2011 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday weekend)
- April 16-24, 2011 (National Park Week)
- June 21, 2011 (First day of summer)
- September 24, 2011 (Public Lands Day)
- November 11-13, 2011 (Veterans Day weekend)